Today we put out the Mai Engine 2.10 update with some great new features, some changes, and some bug fixes. Let’s jump into the new features!
Mai Columns Block
We’re happy to release our extremely powerful new Mai Columns block. This block has been in the making for almost a year. We waited, tested, discussed, tested, and continued to iterate until we knew exactly what was necessary to make a super powerful columns block that was still easy to use for basic responsive layouts.
The simplest idea behind Mai Columns will probably go unnoticed to a new user of WP and blocks in general. Most of our customization settings are on the main container block itself.
Take a look at the following screenshot, the settings to control the columns are all in one place.
If you’ve used the Columns block available in WP at all, I can pretty much guarantee you’ve either cussed, pulled some hair out, or went looking for an alternative if you’ve needed to do anything besides super basic stuff. We feel your pain.
Remember, we don’t build themes only to sell them, we build themes to USE THEM ourselves.Mike Hemberger
Take a look at the “Custom” column arrangement settings, including laptop/tablet/mobile responsive settings as well!
Now you can set the arrangement however you want, and have full control over what happens on smaller devices/breakpoints. Free at last!
But what happens if you have alternating images/content, and they all stack on mobile? Custom order settings to the rescue!
Mai Columns block is currently marked as beta, though it’s available to use now in Mai Engine 2.10. We’d love your feedback to see if we should add any tweaks/changes in the next update.
If you’ve used any of our v2 themes (of course you have, you’re here right?) then you can certainly appreciate the layout control available in our Content Archives and Single Content settings for Posts. As of Mai Engine 2.10, you have all of the same control, independently, for LearnDash course content.
LearnDash is our favorite LMS (Learning Management System) for WordPress. Now you can display your courses and course content in columns, re-order title, images, excerpt, etc., and all of the features available in our Customizer settings with a few clicks of your mouse.
404 Page Template Part
Have you ever wanted to customize the content on your 404 page? Why is it so difficult? You shouldn’t have to install a plugin or edit theme files just to change some text or customize your layout.
Mai Engine 2.10 now has a 404 Page template part where you can override the existing content on the 404 page. Add new text, images, a search bar, Mai Post Grid, or anything you want. You’ll be hoping people hit a bad URL on your site (well maybe we won’t go that far).
Noteworthy Changes & Fixes
- There’s now a “Disable entry links” setting available in Mai Post/Term Grid blocks. This is mostly for use with our Mai Favorites and Mai Testimonials add-on plugins when you just want to display some testimonials or logos without actually linking to them.
- Forms now inherit theme styling in the editor.
- New “Edit Page” link in the toolbar for WooCommerce shop page. Why doesn’t Woo add this by default?!?
- Header/Footer meta fields are now text areas with more room to edit your content.
- Added support for native WP galleries leftover from the Classic Editor. Many of our customers have tons of old posts with galleries, and we’re not going to be the ones to force you to convert them all to blocks. 🙂
- Template Part issues in the Dashboard should all be resolved. A few customers hit a strange bug where Template Parts were generating automatically when they shouldn’t. There is now a “Generate Now” button where you have to manually click to generate any available template parts that aren’t automatically created.
Full Changelog, Including Bug Fixes
- Added: Mai Columns block! Super powerful responsive controls. This is marked as beta while we confirm settings and controls. Let us know how you like it.
- Added: LearnDash support! Courses and course content (lessons/topics/etc.) now have their own Content Archives and Single Content settings.
- Added: LearnDash content now inherits theme styling.
- Added: 404 Page template part.
- Added: Disable entry links setting to Mai Post/Term Grid blocks.
- Added: Link to search Font Awesome icons in Mai Icon block settings.
- Added: Forms/inputs in the editor use the front-end styling.
- Added: Support for native galleries in Classic Editor for older sites.
- Added: New built in styling for soon to be released update to Genesis eNews Extended plugin.
- Added: Edit page link to WooCommerce shop page on the front end.
- Added: Full support and styling for search block button location settings.
- Changed: Template Parts no longer auto-generate when you trash/delete or visit Template Parts list on the Dashboard. You have to manually initiate via a “Generate Now” button any time default template parts are available and not yet created.
- Changed: Default button word-break is now normal.
- Changed: Header and footer meta fields are now text areas with more room for editing multi-line entry meta.
- Changed: Admin menu location to make sure it’s always next to Genesis.
- Changed: Customizer content settings now use post type label for panel names.
- Changed: WooCommerce login form no longer takes full width of it’s container.
has-alignfull-firstclass is now added regardless of whether the page header is displaying on the page.
- Fixed: Edge-case bug where unused default template parts would get created in the database.
- Fixed: Author archive intro text and description displaying incorrectly or not at all in some configurations.
- Fixed: Entry read more links not aligning to the bottom when no images are displayed.
- Fixed: Cover block image positioning when using plugins that provide custom lazy load solutions.
- Fixed: Text align on adjacent entry navigation in some instances.
- Fixed: Outline button hover not working when a custom background color was set.
- Fixed: Horizontal scroll in some instances (Google ads) from sidebar layouts using CSS grid when not necessary (on mobile).
- Fixed: Page header content width not working on Mai Delight.
- Fixed: Page header text color now transitions the inner container background color on Mai Delight.
- Fixed: Page header and cover block image position on WooCommerce pages.
- Fixed: WooCommerce shipping method list styling.